New Zealand’s Strengths:
- ICC Event Performances: New Zealand has consistently exceeded expectations in ICC events, including two World Cup finals and the World Test Championship final.
- Balanced Squad: With a mix of exciting talents and experienced stalwarts, New Zealand’s squad is well-balanced.
- Bowling Depth: Their bowling attack, including spinners and fast bowlers, is well-prepared.
- Poor ODI Record in India: New Zealand has struggled historically in Indian conditions.
- Kane Williamson’s Injury: The absence of captain Kane Williamson due to injury is a concern.
- Last Chance for Veterans: Experienced players like Williamson, Boult, and Southee have a final opportunity to win an ICC trophy.
- Conway’s Form: Devon Conway’s recent IPL success can be translated into international success.
- Mitchell’s Contribution: Players like Daryl Mitchell can play pivotal roles in the team’s campaign.
- Overseas Struggles: New Zealand faced series defeats against Asian sides earlier in the year.
- Ageing Bowlers: Tim Southee and Trent Boult may face challenges on unfamiliar wickets.
- Recent Form: Recent performances, including a series loss to England, raise concerns.
As New Zealand aims to end their World Cup trophy drought, these factors will play a crucial role in their challenge for the coveted title in India.