In a world skeptical about India’s ability to tackle intricate global issues, the recent G20 summit showcased a resounding success story. From climate concerns to energy challenges and intricate geopolitical matters, India’s leadership, represented by the sherpas at the negotiation table, steered through complexities to achieve consensus on critical fronts.
Breaking Down the Achievements:
1. Inclusive Diplomacy: The G20, under India’s presidency, emphasized inclusivity, decisiveness, ambition, and action orientation. The article highlights the meticulous negotiation process involving 250 bilaterals, spanning 300 hours of non-stop discussions.
2. Overcoming Challenges: The piece underlines the challenges faced in dealing with various countries, including China, Russia, and the G7. Despite these challenges, India successfully brought about a consensus, fostering a sense of shared accomplishment among nations.
3. Geopolitical Milestones: Drawing attention to the Russia-Ukraine crisis, the article delves into the 17-draft struggle to reach a consensus. It emphasizes India’s unique achievement in achieving a geopolitical consensus that has eluded global bodies like the United Nations and Security Council.
4. Climate Leadership: India’s role in putting Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at the forefront, pushing the Green Development Pact, and laying the groundwork for COP 28 and women-led development is highlighted. The article underscores India’s proactive approach in defining and creating frameworks for digital public infrastructure.
Economic Reforms and Manufacturing Growth:
1. Make in India Success: The article outlines India’s journey in economic reforms, focusing on the success of initiatives like Make in India. It highlights key achievements such as ease of doing business, liberalizing FDI policies, and enhancing the patent regime.
2. Challenges with Global Players: A specific mention is made of challenges faced in negotiations with global players like Tesla, emphasizing the importance of establishing a manufacturing base in India.
3. Production-Linked Incentives (PLI): The article discusses PLI as a strategy to make India more competitive globally. It emphasizes the need for a broader application of PLI across various sectors to enhance India’s overall productivity.
Future of Electric Vehicles and Sustainable Growth:
1. Electric Vehicle Roadmap: The article advocates for an ambitious roadmap for electric vehicles, suggesting a transition to 100% electric two and three-wheelers by 2030. It also emphasizes the importance of making the entire country electric to combat pollution.
2. Renewable Energy Leadership: India’s commitment to renewable energy, with a focus on achieving 500 gigawatts, is highlighted. The article underscores the potential for India to become a global leader in green energy exports.
Leadership and Global Impact:
1. Prime Minister’s Vision: The article commends the Prime Minister’s focus on good governance, predictability, and consistency in policies. It emphasizes the importance of maintaining a digital intervention approach across all sectors.
2. Asset Monetization and Developmental Focus: India’s success in asset monetization and developmental initiatives, especially in rural areas, is acknowledged. The article stresses the need for sustained focus on development to transform citizens’ lives.
3. Young India’s Aspirations: The article concludes by emphasizing that the focus should remain on development to meet the aspirations of a young India.
Facing Global Challenges with Confidence:
The narrative throughout the article underscores India’s prowess in navigating global challenges, making bold decisions, and positioning itself as a key player in shaping the world’s future. It emphasizes the importance of sustained efforts in economic reforms, renewable energy, and electric vehicle adoption to secure India’s place on the global stage.