Nissan has unveiled the Magnite EZ-Shift, an AMT-equipped version of its beloved SUV in India, starting at a competitive price of Rs. 6.5 lakh (ex-showroom). This AMT addition caters to the needs of drivers in situations like stop-and-go traffic, making it a significant enhancement. In the compact SUV segment, the Magnite EZ-Shift faces off against the Tata Punch AMT. Let’s delve into the details and discover which one offers more value for Indian consumers.
1. The Thriving Compact SUV Segment
The compact SUV segment has been witnessing a surge in popularity as more consumers opt for these rugged and versatile vehicles over similarly priced hatchbacks and sedans. The Tata Punch made a significant impact with its robust aesthetics and capable powertrain. On the other hand, Nissan’s Magnite has also been making waves in India, and now, with the introduction of an AMT gearbox, it has become an even more practical choice for drivers.
2. The Visual Appeal:
- Nissan Magnite: The Magnite features an eye-catching hexagonal grille with chrome accents, a silvered skid plate, swept-back LED headlights, distinctive bumper-mounted L-shaped DRLs, blacked-out pillars, ORVMs with integrated indicators, and elegant 16-inch designer alloy wheels.
- Tata Punch: Tata’s Punch offers a bold SUV design characterized by bumper-mounted projector headlights, a clamshell bonnet, a sleek blacked-out grille, functional roof rails, a wide air dam, wrap-around taillights, and 15-inch diamond-cut alloy wheels.
3. Interior Comfort and Features:
- Nissan Magnite: The Nissan Magnite’s five-seater cabin boasts a range of feel-good features, including keyless entry and start, automatic climate control, premium upholstery, an 8.0-inch infotainment system, a JBL-sourced sound system, and multiple airbags.
- Tata Punch: Inside the Tata Punch, you’ll find a spacious cabin equipped with an engine start/stop button, a cooled glovebox, automatic climate control, a multifunctional steering wheel, and a 7.0-inch infotainment system integrated with iRA-connected car technology.
4. Power and Performance:
- Nissan Magnite: Under the hood, the Nissan Magnite is powered by a 1.0-liter naturally-aspirated petrol engine delivering 71hp of maximum power and 96Nm of peak torque. This power is managed by a 5-speed AMT gearbox.
- Tata Punch: The Tata Punch derives its power from a 1.2-liter “Revotron” petrol engine that generates 87hp of maximum power and 115Nm of peak torque. Similar to the Magnite, it features a 5-speed AMT gearbox.
5. Price Comparison:
The Nissan Magnite EZ-Shift is priced between Rs. 6.5 lakh and Rs. 8.9 lakh, while the Tata Punch AMT falls in the range of Rs. 7.5 lakh to Rs. 10.09 lakh (all prices, ex-showroom).
In our evaluation, the Nissan Magnite EZ-Shift takes the lead due to its attractive design and feature-loaded cabin, all at a more budget-friendly price point. It’s a compelling choice for Indian drivers seeking a stylish and practical compact SUV.